This summer, we will be providing updates about our return to school preparations for the 2020-2021 school year. These preparations will be made in consultation with Halton Region Public Health and the Ministry of Education. The Ministry of Education has indicated that the return to school plan will be finalized and communicated to school boards by early August. In the meantime, we are planning for all potential scenarios so that we can be ready for whatever is required.
Ontario Releases Plan for Safe Reopening of Schools in September
On Thursday, July 30, 2020, the Minister of Education that all elementary students (Kindergarten to Grade 8) will return to school with enhanced health & safety protocols in September, 2020. All HCDSB secondary schools will open in an adapted model with enhanced health and safety protocols in September, 2020.
Multiples strategies will be employed to ensure our schools are healthy and safe for students and staff, including:
- Self screening
- Adapted school environments
- Hand hygiene
- Students in Grade 4 to 12 will be required to wear non-medical or cloth masks while in school.
- Medical masks will be provided for teachers and all other school staff.
- Reasonable exceptions to the requirement will be put in place.
- Limiting visitors in schools
Option of Remote Learning
Parents and guardians will make decisions regarding in-person attendance for their children for this school year and will have the option of remote learning if they do not wish to send their child(ren) back to school in September. Over the next couple of weeks, we will be sending out an Intent to Return to School survey to all parents and guardians.
Our Goals As We Prepare to Transition Back to School
- Ensuring protocols are in place so that students and staff are healthy and safe.
- Providing an enhanced online/distance learning experience for students who continue to learn from home.
- Assessing student learning gaps and developing plans to provide appropriate intervention, where needed.
- Maintaining a focus on mental health supports for students and staff returning to school and those who will continue to learn and work from home.
Over the next few weeks, parents and guardians will be receiving additional details about the return to school plan and what it will look like for their child(ren) and family.
For more information about the return to school, read the Ministry of Education’s Guide to reopening Ontario’s schools.
July 23, 2020 Special Board Meeting
On Thursday, July 23, 2020, the Board of Trustees held a Special Board Meeting to learn more about the plans underway for the 2020-2021 school year.
Parent Feedback Form
As we awaited further direction from the Ministry of Education, we were seeking parent feedback about some of the options we are considering. On Wednesday, July 8, 2020, an email was sent to all HCDSB parents and guardians.
The online form remained open until 11:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 15, 2020. The feedback gathered was used to finalize our return to school plans once we received further direction from the Ministry of Education and Public Health officials in August.
We also share all updates on our social media channels. Stay connected with us: