On Monday, December 21, 2020, the Premier of Ontario announced that at 12:01 a.m. on December 26, 2020, our province will enter a period of additional public health restrictions and protocols to help curb the spread of COVID-19. Read the News Release here.
One of these protocols is related to schools, and requires all publicly funded and private elementary and secondary schools to move to teacher-led remote learning on January 4, 2021.
Expectations for Elementary Schools
- Elementary schools will be closed for in-person learning between January 4-8, 2021.
- Beginning Monday, January 4th and ending on Friday, January 8th , all elementary students will learn remotely from home.
- In-school instruction for elementary school students will resume on Monday, January 11, 2021.
Expectations for Secondary Schools
- Secondary schools will be closed for in-person learning between January 4-22, 2021.
- Beginning Monday, January 4th and until on Friday, January 22nd, students will follow their regular schedule, but all cohorts (A, B, and C) will learn remotely from home.
- In-school instruction for secondary school students will resume on Monday, January 25, 2021.
Remote learning will be provided for all students in accordance with PPM 164: Requirements for Remote Learning, which provides specific expectations around synchronous learning.
Technology Support for Students
Families requiring a device to support student learning during the period of remote learning will be invited to make a request through an online survey that will be emailed to parents on Tuesday, December 22, 2020.
The Ministry of Education recently announced the launch of two new portals, TVO Learn and TFO IDÉLLO, apprendre à la maison, which provide supports for students learning remotely by accessing additional educational resources developed by Ontario certified teachers.
In addition, secondary students can continue to access TVO’s Independent Learning Centre (ILC) Open House and Portes ouvertes pour les cours TVO ILC in French-language, which provide access to 144 Grade 9 to 12 courses. These ILC resources are designed to provide flexible learning opportunities to help students keep up with their learning or deepen their understanding of a specific subject.
Supporting Students with Special Education Needs
- To support remote learning for all special education students, school staff (Teachers, Educational Assistants, etc.) as well as board professionals (e.g. Speech and Language Pathologists) will continue to provide ongoing support and services virtually.
- For students with special education needs who cannot be accommodated through remote learning, we will provide in-person support during the remote learning period commencing January 4, 2021.
- Parents with children in the Community Living Class, Structured Teaching Class, Essential Skills Class and Life Skills Class will be asked to share their intentions, including transportation needs, through an online form that will be sent on Tuesday, December 29, 2020.
As all students will be learning remotely the first week in January, no student transportation services will be provided January 4-8, 2021. Once elementary schools resume in-class instruction on Monday, January 11, 2021, student transportation services will resume.
- Child care centres will remain OPEN for the duration of these time-limited public health actions.
- All Before and After School Programs will be CLOSED during the week of January 4-8, 2021, when elementary schools are closed to in-person learning.
Mental Health Supports
School Mental Health Ontario has posted a number of resources for students, families and staff at: www.smho-smso.ca.
Government Funding for High School Students
A new Government Support Program for secondary student parents has been launched. If your child is between 13 years of age to Grade 12, you are eligible to receive a one-time payment of $200 per eligible student to help offset education expenses. Secondary school student applications will be open from January 11, 2021, to February 8, 2021. The application instructions will be available at: https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-support-learners.